|How to get sleep Home|
Bookmark this page
Bookmark this page
While there are many reasons for not getting sufficient sleep, you can try to improve your sleep quality by using the following tips:
1. You should go to sleep only when you feel sleepy. Also do not postpone sleeping when you are feeling sleepy, it may be difficult to get sleep later.
2. If you do not get sleep within 20 minutes of going to bed, it is better to get up and do some work till you feel sleepy. Read a boring book or watch TV. You should not expose yourself to very bright light which is a signal to the brain to become active.
3. Go to sleep and wake up in the morning at the same time everyday, develop a regular routine of activities before going to sleep. Try to relax before you go to sleep and ensure that your bed is comfortable. Meditation and other relaxation techniques reduce the stress levels and help you to have a restful sleep. Also avoid arguments and shouting a few hours before you go to sleep.
4. Do not sleep during the day or do vigorous exercises less than 5 hours before you sleep. Exercises earlier in the day, will make you tired and help you to sleep easily especially if you have a sedentary office job.
5. A heavy meal should be eaten 2-3 hours before you sleep. A glass of milk is usually recommended since dairy products contain an amino acid L-tryptophan, a natural sleep inducer. Avoid coffee, tea, cola, chocolates and medicines which contain stimulants like caffeine and nicotine. Alcohol may cause a person to feel drowsy, but sleep later at night will be fragmented.
6. Background noise caused by a fan or soft music can drown out other noises and help a person sleep. Do not watch the clock and calculate the hours you have been awake trying to sleep .
7. For most people, insomnia is caused by stress and anxiety, but in some cases, it may be due to a medical problem like sleep apnea. In such cases it is better to consult a doctor who may prescribe sleeping pills as a temporary solution.
© Copyright NK Infobase